Thursday, November 12, 2015

Master Bedroom Headboard Makeover

My master bedroom is one room in my house that I have a hard time decorating for some reason. I don't know what it is... I think in the end it comes down to the furniture we bought. I thought I liked it but as time passed I got kind of sick of it and tried to renovate it many times. 



I have the Ikea Malm bedroom set which is very sturdy and well made as well as economical but I have found in the past 4 years that I've had it that it is just too linear for my liking. I stained it a darker oak stain....I added hardware to the dresser and side tables to spruce it up a bit....I DIYed the headboard because it was just too low and very uncomfortable when reading at night. 



So I have to say as much as I like Ikea, if I could go back I would definitely would have gotten another bedroom set. For now I have to make due with it because I won't be changing it any time soon but I have been itching to change the headboard again. Not because I don't like it anymore because I do...it's one of the things I like most about my bedroom, but just because I would like to make a tufted headboard and seeing as though I have to take it apart to do that, I thought I might switch up the fabric as well. 



I found a really great tutorial on how to raise an Ikea Malm headboard and it took me about half a day to do. It really wasn't difficult at all. I would love to have a tufted one though and I didn't do it then because I was a little intimidated honestly but I think I'll be able to pull it off. We shall see I guess! 

Here is the back to give you an idea:


I basically just went to my local home depot and had them cut a piece of MDF the same size as the headboard and nailed two wood panels for support as well as brackets in front I then glued thick padding on the front and stapled the fabric making sure that it was tight. It's not perfect but I had also never done anything like this before so in the end I think I did a pretty decent job. I'll fix it a bit better once I make it over again. 

Here are some tufted headboard ideas I found online that I would like to try out. I'm still not sure about the fabric, but I'm thinking like a beige linen fabric...kind of like this: 

via Overstock

I really like this one but it looks like a bit much ...I don't know if I'm ready to do something like that but it is one of my favorites.


I think I'll be doing something more along these lines. This is a diamond tufted headboard which I kind of like more...and it also looks a lot easier to do. I think this is a much thicker fabric though so maybe that's why it pulls tighter than the one above.  

source


This one below is another type of tufted headboard that is more modern. It looks A LOT easier than the two above but I honestly prefer the first two to this one. 

source

So I'll have to get some buttons and I found these on Amazon. It's a 10 button kit but I'll get two because I think that 20 should suffice. 


So we'll see how it goes.... wish me luck! 

I'll keep you posted :-) 

Read about the finished headboard here: Part 2


13 comments:

  1. Hi Silvana, your master is so pretty and I do like your head board but I know what you mean about the tufted style. I think it will be gorgeous when complete. I love your chandy too. Such a restful room. Good Luck with the project. Have fun!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. The chandy is from Ikea as well. I love it too!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see the finished project! I heart anything tufted. :)

    Happy day friend!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes me too! I hope it turns out as nice as the ones pictured above!

      Delete
  3. Best of luck and have fun. Nothing like a peaceful bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I hope it all goes well for you and I hope you share the finished project here! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I will share for sure! Thanks for commenting Linda :-)

      Delete
  5. Silvana, grazie di essere passata da me!
    Ti abbraccio e ti auguro un buon Venerdì

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ciao Manu! Grazie a te per il commento. A presto!

      Delete
  6. Blogger won't let me reply under today so I'll start a new one here. Last night we finished putting our bedroom back together, after a fresh coat of paint. It is sooo much nicer in here. We still have to put on the new closet doors and do a few other things but on the whole, very very nice. It's like a new bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I started following your blog when you were talking about painting a room but I didn't know it was your bedroom. I think that having a bedroom you love really helps in getting a good night's rest. What color did you paint the room? I would like to paint my bedroom but I'm in a rental :-/

      Delete
  7. WOW I assolutmante AMO il tuo nuovo arredamento :-)
    Amo the head board ....Unbelievable!!!!

    ReplyDelete