Monday, December 21, 2015

Tufted Malm Headboard DIY - Ikea Hack

I spoke about my headboard makeover in this post and this weekend I finally got around to finishing it. I am so excited to be able to show you the finished bed today!

Now let me break down the details for this project. This is going to be a long post so bear with me.  This is what I started out with:


This is the Ikea Malm bed we bought. Initially I liked it (or else I wouldn't have bought it) but after bringing it home and trying it out I hated how the headboard was so low and every time I would read or sit up it was just so uncomfortable. So what I really wanted to do was raise the headboard.  

This was the first part of the project. I went to the hardware store and had them cut a piece of MDF that was the same length as the frame and screwed it into the headboard with brackets. I also reinforced the back with two pieces of wood panels that I had in the garage. 


I added a thick layer of foam padding to the front that I glued onto the headboard. Then I wrapped the front with batting and stapled it to the back of the headboard. 

I bought the fabric that I preferred and covered the front with white damask fabric pulling tightly and stapling first the sides and then the top. 


This is what my bed looked like for the last 2 years. I really loved how it came out but over time (and since I am a perfectionist) I saw that the top was a little bumpy and I really wanted a tufted headboard but was a little intimidated by the job. So I finally got around to ordering some buttons from Amazon (found here) and after several weeks of procrastination, this weekend I finally finished my project. 


I began taking a piece of the fabric I had for covering the buttons. In all I used 16 buttons. It was really easy putting them together. The kit came with everything necessary and the instructions were very clear. 


There was a form that allowed you to trace the fabric to cut out and the mold for covering the buttons and securing the back in place. 


It was so easy to do I actually had fun with these...now I want to cover ALL THE BUTTONS! haha




Now came the hard part. I measured out where the buttons would go. I decided I wanted a diamond tuft and looked at some pictures online. Finally I decided on this one from Overstock.com. This headboard would cost me over $700 if I were to ship it to Italy! 


So I measured everything out and marked the front with a pencil indicating where the buttons would go. Step back at this point and see if everything lines up right. 

Now mark the back and drill. Word of advice: DO NOT DRILL INTO THE FOAM. The drill gets stuck and it's a disaster so just drill into the wood being careful to not go into the foam. 


This is a blurry picture but you can see I drilled the holes at this point. 

After I drilled the holes in the back I added the new fabric. Since changing the curtains in my living room, I used the curtains I had there previously. The curtains I used are Ikea Lenda curtains which is a beautiful cotton fabric that is very similar to linen. It was perfect and I already had it! 


One panel was more than enough for this project, buttons and all. So I covered the headboard and stapled it tightly around the back. 



Once this was done I added the buttons. I used a large upholstery needle and a strong upholstery thread. Just go in through the back, add the button in front and go back out through the hole in the back. It's a little tricky to be able to find the hole again and that's why the hole you drill should be big enough to facilitate this part.  Tie a double knot and staple it down pulling the thread tightly. 

 




So you want to see the final result?? 

Voila!!



I just love how it turned out. The pictures aren't that great because it was dark by this point but I'll take better pictures asap...promise!



I think I did pretty good considering I only had to purchase the buttons and everything else I already had!

I hope you liked the makeover and  I wish you all a very Merry Week friends xoxo

Tomorrow I'll post about the Pandoro Cake I made over the weekend :-) One word - Yum!





9 comments:

  1. Hi Silvana, what an amazing job you did on the headboard. It looks beautiful in your gorgeous room. I can appreciate the work involved having worked on tufted projects myself. Love your chandy too. Wishing you a beautiful week up to Christmas my friend and thank you for all the fun posts here this year. I have enjoyed getting to know you. Hugs and Merry Christmas! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Celestina for your kind words! I'm glad I started blogging this year. It really has turned out to be therapeutic for me. And thank you for your encouraging words. It means a lot, really! Hugs, Silvana

      Delete
  2. Silvana, it looks fantastic! You are so talented! Merry Christmas to you. Sending you a warm hug and much love. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda and a very Merry Christmas to You as well! xo Silvana

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Ivy! Hope you are having a great Christmas!

      Delete
    2. We really are, thank you. About to close the lids on our coffins now, it's a little after four in the morning, here.

      Cheers and boogie boogie.

      Delete
  4. Oh, Silvana, you are so skilful!
    Now we are preparing the Christmas Eve dinner. I wish you a very merry Christmas and a happy new year! ♥
    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my dear Sara!! I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas :-) I hope you are having a wonderful day with your loved ones!

      Delete