Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Angel Food Cake without Cream of Tartar

This past weekend I wanted to make an easy low fat, low calorie dessert and remembered when I was a little girl my mom used to come home very often with Angel Food Cake as it was one of her favorite desserts. I loved the lightness of that cake and did some research online for recipes.  The thing all the recipes had in common was cream of tartar... Obviously cream of tartar doesn't exist here in Italy and if it does I have no idea what it's called....so I was faced with my first dilemma.

But this didn't stop me from making my much desired Angel Food Cake! I did some more research and found that the cream of tartar is used mainly to keep the egg whites firm when whipped but I learned that you can achieve the same result with a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice or vinegar. I preferred using lemon juice. Another tip I can give is not to use liquid egg whites in the cartons because they won't give you the firmness that regular eggs will for some reason even though I think it has to do with the liquid eggs being pasteurized. Anyways, I tried using carton egg whites and it was a flop so just use regular eggs if you can. 

I served the cake with a sauce made from red oranges and decorated with some orange slices. I wanted to use strawberries but I didn't have any unfortunately. The oranges were a hit all the same!


Here is my recipe for Angel Food Cake. 




Ingredients: 

 - egg whites from 10 medium sized eggs
 - 1 teaspoon of lemon juice 
 - 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
 - 1 cup of cake flour 
 - a pinch of salt



Begin by separating the egg whites from the yolks. It is imperative that you whip the egg whites in a grease free glass or metal bowl. Since I didn't use the cream of tartar, this was important so the eggs whip up well and form stiff peaks. 


Add the lemon juice and begin whipping on low. When the whites start to firm up add half of the sugar and mix the other half with the flour and pinch of salt.  Set aside.


Continue whipping until you see the eggs have formed stiff peaks. 


At this point you will very gently incorporate the flour mixture by folding the flour into the egg whites with a spoon a little at a time. 


Once the flour is all incorporated your mixture should look like this. 


Now in an ungreased tall tube cake pan (...it's ok...I didn't have one either, all I had was a silicone bundt pan LOL), gently add the cake mixture. The cake rises during cooking time and I was a little scared that it might overflow at one point but it was all good! 



Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for about 35 - 40 minutes. 


Now you need to let that baby cool before removing from the pan or else it'll break apart. 

Once cooled gently flip onto your plate and it's ready to be decorated :-) YAY


You can let your imagination run free at this point with visions of nutella, strawberries, whipped cream, blueberries, etc... anything your heart desires!


All I had available were organic oranges whomp whomp...


but it was a success nonetheless!! 




Shared on: 








popular Thursday Linky Party

19 comments:

  1. Oh my, this looks wonderful! Now I am craving Angel Food Cake :) Thank you so much for sharing this fabulous recipe with Roses of Inspiration.

    Enjoy the remainder of your week! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Love your link up. You have some great posts!

      Delete
  2. This sounds delicious and looks so pretty! It would be the perfect Easter dessert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! It was very good, it finished way too fast!

      Delete
  3. Good morning! I'm so glad your delicious cake didn't run over the Bundt pan. I tried that once and ended up with burned sugary cake all over the oven. I guess we all do that a time or two though. Do you like the silicone pan? Seems like it would be so much easier to use.

    Happy Thoughts of Home on Thursday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it so much better because it's much easier to remove the cake without it coming apart. I don't think I'll ever go back to aluminium!

      Delete
  4. Hi Silvana, oh this looks divine. Love this for spring and an Easter dessert. Thanks for sharing. Hope you sister is doing well this week. Have a great day and weekend ahead. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend! She is doing better :-)))

      Delete
  5. Silvana,

    This angel food cake looks delicious! I especially like the touch of orange.

    ~Kiki~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! The orange wasn't so bad after all I guess :-)

      Delete
  6. Oh Silvana, you are ever so skilful! Even your cake mixtures look fabulous. :)
    A lovely recipe and post, with great photos. Thank you for sharing!
    Have a happy weekend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweet Sara have a great weekend :-)

      Delete
  7. Love Angel Food Cake and yours looks so good! Thanks for sharing with the Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my pleasure! Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  8. I never thought about using my decorative cake pan when making angel food but it is SO pretty! You post was truly a joy to read and I hope that you will continue adding your ray of sunshine every week on Thoughts of Home on Thursdays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Laura! What a sweet comment :-)

      Delete
  9. This looks lovely! I'm no baker but I might have to give this a try! <3

    ReplyDelete