Monday, September 5, 2016

2 Different Recipes for Stuffed Focaccia

Happy Labor Day to all of my American friends! I hope you are enjoying your long weekend whether it be relaxing, laboring or partying, the important thing is that you are well! 

This weekend we had guests over for dinner and since it's still really warm out I thought it would be nice to have dinner out on the patio. I made two different types of stuffed focaccia because they are always a big hit and even if they get left over they are great to have for lunch the following day. Today I'll share my recipe for spinach and ricotta stuffed focaccia as well as prosciutto and smoked mozzarella focaccia. Making stuffed focaccia is not really that difficult. It just takes time to make the dough beforehand and let it rise.  We had dinner at 8:00pm so I started making the dough at around 5:30.  


For the dough, here is the list of ingredients you will need: 

 - 500 grams of bread flour
 - one packet of active yeast (25gr)
 - 250 - 300 ml of lukewarm water
 - 3 tablespoons of olive oil
 - 1 tablespoon of salt 


You can either knead the dough yourself or let the mixer do the work for you. I did the kneading myself and left to rise in a sealed container for about 2 hours. If the dough seems too dry go ahead and add a little more water until smooth and elastic.  

After the 2 hours it more than doubled in size and looked great!  This is enough dough to make 2 large stuffed pies so if making just one, use half - doses. 


Now we are ready to make the focaccia. I started with the spinach and ricotta. Cook and drain your spinach (500 grams) making sure to really remove most of the water or else you will get a soggy focaccia bread...no bueno! Preheat the oven to 220°C or 430°F.

Add about 2 cups of ricotta cheese, one cup of Parmesan, a pinch of salt, pepper and a sprinkle of nutmeg. 


Mix everything well and roll out the base of your focaccia (about 2 fist fulls of dough).  Place the base on a greased baking dish and coat the dough with a drizzle of olive oil.  


Add your spinach filling on top of the dough making sure to leave some space on the sides where you will be sealing the focaccia closed with the top section. 


I added a couple small mozzarella balls cut in half before closing. Now add the top section of the dough, cover and seal the edges. Coat the top with a drizzle of olive oil and poke lightly as shown below. Bake in a preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden. 


Next I moved onto the prosciutto stuffed focaccia. The procedure is the same so lay out the bottom section of the dough making sure to grease your baking pan. Add the ingredients you wish to add so in this case I added some slices of cooked prosciutto, black olives, some tomato sauce and smoked mozzarella cheese. You really can add whatever ingredients you prefer with stuffed focaccia.  Mushrooms, artichokes, or even broccoli work really well  here.


This was the smoked mozzarella I used...mmmmm. Love it! It has a really smokey flavor to it and it tastes heavenly when melted on pizza. Try it sometime as an alternative to regular mozzarella cheese. 


Then just go ahead and cover it sealing the edges. Drizzle the top with some olive oil and poke with a fork. Same cooking time applies here as well. 


Isn't it lovely?!





Then I served it nice and hot from the oven and it was just the perfect consistency. Crispy outside and warm inside. 

While you're here, would you like to see my outdoor table setting? Fall is almost here but I'm still really enjoying these last summer nights outside with candles and lanterns... so romantic don't you think?




Have a great week! 

xoxo

Silvana


PS - What do you think of my new design? Hope you like it as much as I do :-)


Shared on: 


Dishing It & Digging it Link Party #112

Foodie Friday and Everything Else



25 comments:

  1. You already know I love your new design, Silvana. :)
    The outdoor table setting looks wonderful. It's still rather warm? Then it's still summer. (Lucky you!) Your weekend must have been very enjoyable... and my goodness, your focaccias are something to die for.
    We too had a lovely weekend, with some family members visiting. We were eating well too, but then it's my mother cooking, not me. :)
    Have a lovely new week! Baci!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara! Sei troppo gentile. Qui sta diventando più fresco. Finally fall is starting to make it's way in! What have you been photographing lately? Anything special? I'll be over to take a look at you blog to find out!

      Delete
  2. These look so delightful and tempting! Have a wonderful day ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Summer!! You have such a pretty name by the way :-)

      Delete
  3. OH yum! The focaccias look delicious! And your table setting is beautiful! Enjoy the last few days of summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jandi! Have your girls made any more nug rescues lately? :-)

      Delete
  4. Eccoti, finalmente ti rileggo!!!
    Che delizie le tue focacce e che bella tavola!
    Ti abbraccio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ciao amica!! Da quanto che non ti vedo! Un abbraccio e grazie del commento.

      Delete
  5. Hi Silvana, Oh your new blog looks fabulous. Love your beautiful little profile pic too. This menu is amazing. The focaccia's look incredibly delicious. Love your inviting table setting too. Glad you had a great time visiting family in the states and are back to Italy safe and sound. Thanks for stopping by to say hi and your sweet comments.Sorry to take so long to visit back, I'm on limits to the computer with my arm in a wrap but will visit as often as I can.
    Happy September!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments !! Have you created any more pumpkins lately? Can't wait to see more! I love all your ideas.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful and delicious!! Thank you for sharing and linking up at Dishing It & Digging It!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori! Thanks for your comment and thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  7. ciao, grazie del commento nel mio blog e di esserti iscritta...purtroppo non hai il gadget lettori fissi, altrimenti mi sarei iscritta più che volentieri( e sarebbe facile trovarti ogni volta che pubblichi) ti seguo su google+ ...bellissima le focacce!!! Hai per caso un apagina fb? Un bacio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ciao Cristina! No, non ho FB ... i Social Media che ho sono già troppi per me haha! Grazie del commento a presto!

      Delete
  8. Hello Silvana,

    Thank you for stopping by my blog, Her Peculiar Homesteading Life, and leaving a comment. Your focaccia looks fabulous! I will most definitely try your recipes. Your table scape is beautiful.
    I am looking forward to returning and reading more of your blog.

    Blessings,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, this looks so good! I love focaccia and the goodies you've added make it even better. I can just imagine how delicious this must be!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks absolutely amazing. I love a good focaccia... but I love that outdoor setting even more. And that we got a candid snapshot of your little dog in the second pic, looking at... something with much fascination (more cooking?).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never eaten focaccia, but they both look good. I also like your new blog look.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a pretty table and the pies look delicious! Thanks for stopping by my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a pretty table and the pies look delicious! Thanks for stopping by my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, dearest Silvana! Thank you for your comment today! I added this reply to the comment section:
    It would be more correct to call this effect "miniature faking" or "tilt shift" (and it can be done either optically when the photograph is taken or by post-processing digitally - that's what I did), but I called my photo "a mini" because it's a fun name for a thing that makes the child in me so happy. :)

    Thank you for visiting Muusa's blog too!
    Have a lovely weekend! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love pies like that. So yummy. But all veggies in mine. Meat for hubby.

    The answer was eggplant/aubergine. Thanks for playing and have a yummy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've sold me, they both sound like heaven!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete