Monday, May 8, 2017

Kumquat Coconut Cake

Remember in my last post where I shared with you a photo of my bountiful kumquat tree and had no idea what to do with the fruits? Well I tried a great recipe that I'll share here today. It's really simple to make and the kumquats give the cake a delicious citrus flavor that pairs together rather nicely with the coconut. 


I saw many recipes online for kumquat coconut cookies and thought I might try mixing the two ingredients into a cake topped with cream cheese frosting and it turned out fantastic.

So I picked the kumquats from my tree and I used about 30 of them in this cake. If you want a more citrus flavor you can go ahead and just add more. 


Ingredients for the cake: 

 - 3 cups all-purpose flour
 - 3 eggs
 - 1/2 cup milk
 - 1 cup vegetable oil
 - 30 chopped kumquats 
 - 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
 - 1/2 cup desiccated unsweetened coconut 
 - 2 teaspoons baking soda
 - 1 teaspoon salt


When chopping up the kumquats make sure to remove the bitter seeds if they have any. Mine had a lot and it was kind of a pain but it's a necessary step. 


Mix the ingredients together in your mixer until everything is blended evenly. 


Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and pour batter into a previously greased and floured baking dish. 


Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. 


You can't even begin to imagine how good this cake made my house smell. It smelled divine for the whole day...no Yankee candle can even compare!


I let the cake cool completely and frosted with home made cream cheese frosting which went really well with this cake. 


I shared some with my next door neighbor and her family (so that I wouldn't eat it all myself lol) and they enjoyed it as much as I did so I'm happy to say it was a hit. 


Who says you can't eat cake for breakfast? I sure enjoy it :-)

Have a spectacular week ahead! 

xoxo, 

Silvana

5 comments:

  1. Ma che bel colore questi mandarini cinesi!!!
    Ti abbraccio

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there! thank you so much for your kind words. you are a genius! this cake looks amazing... mmmmmmm... yes, I would have that for breakfast. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Silvana, that looks fabulous! I don't know that I've ever had a kumquat and I'm not sure I've ever even seen one. Now I'll have to hunt them down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Silvana, wow this cake looks delicious. So glad you found a great recipe for all the kumquats. Your tree is beautiful. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Have a great rest of the week. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another fabulous recipe, Silvana, and I think also the photos of this post are particularly beautiful. Your kumquats look lovely, and kumquat and coconut sound like an interesting combination.
    Thank you for sharing! Have a happy Tuesday! :)

    ReplyDelete